Sunday, September 03, 2006

All growing Up!


Tomorrow is the first day of school. I can't remember the last time I was this nervous! It makes me wonder how much of the confidence that my teachers exerted was a massive cover up for wanting to throw up in the bathroom. But I guess not all of them moved across the atlantic, to an entirely new education system, with 'difficult' students and only 2 days to prepare. The inset days (or pd days as we would call them) were overwhelming. There was not enough information the first day - a guest speaker, very motivating though - and the second day there was just so much information thrown at me that I hardly knew what to do with it all. I think I covered up my weak knewws quite well (practice for Monday). I really have no idea what to expect. But I figure if this year is a complete disaster then my career can only get better! Hopefully not all the students will be lighting fires and stabbing each other with razors.

My Internet has been really shotty the past couple of days. Only coming on for 10 mins at a time, or just not working for hours at a time. It is especially hard on the weekends when there is a point where the time difference doesn't mean staying up really late or waking up really early. Soon I'll be able to see your face again.

Yesterday I went into London and met up with Dave and Ariana. We had our usual London adventures - it seems to be becoming a tradition to just jump on the first double decker we see. This time it initially led us to the greatest store of all - Selfridges. We had to run out of the clothing department after I dipped into money I shouldn't be using to buy the most wonderful coat of all time. I felt very British (or very Mary Tyler Mooe) walking down the streets of London. I am now going to be on a mission for scarves - they are my new obsession. I am actually getting into the styles here - for some reason in Lodong I rather enjoy the skirt/pant look. It is different for some reason. The articles seem to belong together - instead of just wearing both a skirt and pants. Maybe I will come back all stylish. We then visited the outside of Canada House - tried to see if we knew all the provincial flags. Dave won the game hands down.
We crossed the Thames and found this Philharmonic Orchestra display were you could sit on these boxees and hear what it would sound like to be playing that instrument. Back packer, children, adults of all kinds sit around and play musical chairs. It is cooler than it sounds, especially once you actually start moving around and hear the differences.

The night was spent, for a while, at the Generator. It is what I imagine Portugal's hostels are like. There are some teachers staying at this hostel and we were invited to come join the festivities. There was an 'Old School' theme - so there were togas and marshmallows (you don't want to know what they did with the marshmellows - no chubby bunny that is for sure!), they tied balls to -uhm- body parts and threw them. And there was even an appearance by Blue and some Jello wrestling. It was quite something - what? I'm not so sure! But it was nice to see some of the other teachers again. I think they may make getting together a regular thing!

Time to get back to seating plans! I miss you all and I'm thinking about you all the time!
Wish me luck!
Oh - Favourite new British word of the day: Bullocks!
Favourite new way of saying 'sounds good': Rover (dave and ariana - I'm going to make that stick!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home