Saturday, September 16, 2006

Some culture, some partying!

It's been quite the week. Survived my second week of school - getting quite the reputation. I have been involved in 5 people getting suspended, and it looks like 2 of them might go permanently. These are kids with big files - it is not the first time that they have been in trouble. The upper management talked about expelling another one of the students but they don't want to get rid of him just yet because "the next education he would receive would probably be in jail." I sat through a meeting with one student, his parents, the head of inclusion and the deputy head (aka the vice principal). It was an eye opener. Watching the mother cry and cry, and the father looking so ashamed. They have no idea what to do with him. But that is pretty rare - there are many other parents (such as the one they don't want to expel) who couldn't care less about their children. It is so hard to say, but without those key players in the classroom, I actually felt like I was getting through at times. One girl came to me after school to ask if there was anything she could do in the classroom - she had to wait until 4:30 to get picked up and she chose to use that time to come help me. It was really nice! There ended up being 5 of them, her younger siblings and a friend. So they decorated the classroom - I gave them chocolate as thanks.
So I have been doing more than just teaching. Not during the week, when I sometimes go to bed at 7pm. Last weekend was our staff party! We got there a little late, but made up quickly for that. There was a lot of dancing, a lot of drinking (especially by some - it was so funny to see the upper management team in a, uhm, whole new light.) It was nice to meet some new people, and confirm friendships. The next day I went into London. I managed to get in in time to go see 'The Boyfriend' (a musical) that was playing at the open air theatre in Regent's Park. The second photo is of the theatre. It is quite the social occasion. There is a bar, and bbq, where people flock to before and during the show. The show was spectacular! It was well performed, you could tell that the actors were having the time of their life. Even a fox came and watched it for a little while - lay down and everything!

It disrupted the performance a little(people started pointing and laughing, especially when it sat down to 'watch'), but in a way added to the outdoor feel. The sun was out, and a little in my eyes, but i would rather a sunny day to watch an outdoor performance then a rainy one.
That night I went to Dave and Ariana's house for some dinner and to see the new place! It is beautiful! Not the best of areas, but very near a tube stop, has a balconey and a private garden that they can look out on, but can't figure out how to get in.

It was also a pretty exciting week for planning. I don't know if I have already said, but Dave, Ariana and I are going to see 'Wicked' next weekend! And then when Nathan comes we have tickets to 'Spamalot' - and the same night I booked that I decided that I needed a weekend away sometime. So Nov. 18th (that weekend) I'm heading to Rome!!

Last night I found my club. I knew it was out there some place, a club that was made for me. From the first time I layed my eyes on the place, even from the outside I knew that it was going to change my life. We went out to Reflex last night - this is the first picture in the blog. It is an all 80's bar!! It is decorated 80's, they play 80's (there are rubric cubes as disco balls!), it isn't too dark, not even too loud, a revolving dance floor!! The list just goes on and on. I thought it would be an early night - until I actually stepped in and saw the greatness! I was out with Anita and her roommate and at Reflex a guy came up to Anita and asked if her friend (me) was a teacher? Turns out that a few of the global education staff hang out there on a regular basis! So we ended up hanging out with them, dancing up a storm! The wonderment of this place, and how I knew that it was created for me, is when the original 'Alice' song came on -- Alice, Alice who the *!#% is Alice? I don't think I have heard that version since Chile in 1996.

Heading into London today. So I should probably go and start getting ready! Oh, I should probably just mention Krispy Kremes - does any first year teacher good! Angharad, you rock!

Going to meet Dave to roam the streets of London, and maybe check out this Thames Festival!
Cheers! Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hilary! Howdy from Bubby and the Buxbaums. We are so thrilled to see that you are having a great experience in London. So relieved that you found the "club of your dream". Incredibly, Gail has now entered the 21st century and can e'mail so you can write her at gail@rebresearch.com. We'll keep track of your adventures and hope to hear from you soon. Happy New Year. Love your Oak Park family and your semi-transplanted Canadian bubby.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home