Sunday, October 29, 2006

Belgium and their beer

It's been way too long since I've posted, and now I have to think back before Paris and my last week of school and remember Belgium. Though the beauty and fun we had doesn't make it hard to do. I went to Belgium for the weekend with some of the other international teachers who I met through the agency. I didn't know them that well before this, but I thought I'd take the opportunity when they asked. I'm glad I did! We went on a tour, specifically a beer festival tour in this little town. But that comes later. We were picked up at 6am - for some too early (as 2 missed the bus, but they were persistant and both ended up taking a train, a ferry and another train to come meet up with us.) Some were still drunk on the bus there - a night of hard drinking to prepare for the festival I guess. The way there was uneventful - though I did meet some of the others and ended up chatting to them. We arrived, finally, in Oostende (where we were to stay that night) and in festival spirits we were met by drunken men dressed in lederhosen, singing and playing instruments on the street. I think they had seen us arriving and decided to come out and serenade us with their version of 'Sweet Caroline'. We had a couple of hours to explore the town and have something to eat until the bus came to take us to the festival. A girl from Australia and I ended up wandering the streets, trying to find postcards and chocolates, and then settled in for probably the best lazagna I've ever had! The beer was delicious as well (I do love Belgian beer). Mmm, I still dream of the rich, creamy, melt in your mouth goodness... Then off to the festival!
No one told us that it was a dress up party. People were there in groups, either with matching shirts that they had made, or with wigs and fantastic hats! Even without our own costumes we managed to have our own fun. And some were given hats and wigs by other patrons. This wasn't a beer tasting festival where people sat around sampling Belgian beer in their proper glasses - though the cherry beer did prove to be a big hit. I only had one glass of it, and it was nice, but too much would definitely equal a bad hangover. We found out that the men who serenaded us were also the main entertainment that night! Their four songs were fantastic, but got a little repetitive a couple hours later. The night was filled with drinking, I never, dancing and then more dancing! It really was a night to remember - and then a smell to remember all the next day as one person (at least) did throw up on the bus. We did try the traditional Chaiton tradition of singing away puke smell, and it did work, especially after the disaster that was trying to open the vent at the top of the bus.

We arrived in Brugge around lunch time so headed off and had some Belgian waffles! Even without maple syrup they were delicious! Brugge is just the sweetest town. It is a UNESCO world heritage site as a tribute to a medival town. The serene canal (and the bridge where a couple can stand in the middle and ask the patron of love to grant eternal happiness and bliss...) The top picture is of the old hospital - used up until the 1970s. After finally managing to find the carriages, we ended up taking a horse and carriage ride throughout the city. The driver sported a Canadian pin on his hat, which he almost emotionally told the story of how the Canadians had protected the city against the Germans in WWII. I gather he had found out first hand from a vetran who had taken a ride in his buggy. A proud moment for us!

The ride back to London was rowdier than the ride there - people connecting and chatting (and more singing!) Driving up to the ferry, or I guess just before that, up to immigration, we watched hords of people who lined the sides of the road. At night, or whenever they can, they will try and hang on to a bus or truck (without being seen) to get into England. This makes the immigration officers mean I think. We were all hasselled at the boarder - even those of us with British or European passports. Even before I spoke (so she had no idea of my accent), the officer was pressing me about how I have a British passport. Luckily I did remember the name of the village where my mom was born and I was let through. We made it home in good time - watched the Manchurian Candidate on the last leg of the journey, but missed the last 5 minutes! So now I still need to know what happens in the end.
So last thoughts. Belgium = a place I'd definitely go to again! Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home