Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Photographers in Paris

I've been delaying writing my blog on Paris and my Mom's visit cause there is just so much to write about. Also I've been waiting for my Mom's account of the events to remind myself of all the details. Alas I decided to go ahead and at least start. This may be a two parter - we'll see how far I get!
My mom arrived on the Saturday and after a quick tour of the apartment we got on the move. I don't think we stopped until she actually left. After a tour of Watford (it didn't take too long) and a bite to eat (I think it is an official rule that you need to go to a pub and have a pint and fish n chips as soon as possible when one arrives in London. This is a rule that I support in every way.) we headed into London. Very decisively - that is our story and we are sticking to it; mom and I together, of course we were decisive... - we decided to get tickets for 'The 39 Steps" that night. With hours to spare we wandered - wandering is not the same thing as getting lost right? - until we got to the area where my dad lived and my mom worked. She showed me the park where they met. No wonder they fell in love. I could almost see them talking that fateful night: a bonfire blazing, locked away secretely in the square, and mom wearing her yellow coat. We almost went into London House, but didn't dare. 'The 39 Steps' was wonderful - very fun and a great play to see. The play even made reference to uncle Bob, the police commissioner! Oh, I guess Bob really was our uncle that night!

The next morning we headed off to Billingshurst to visit auntie Peggy and her family. It was so nice to see her, and meet (or meet them when I wasn't 5) Bridget and her kids. They have a very fun family, and with one of the kids in the middle of a work drama, it made for a memorable day. It was nice to have a home cooked meal. Peggy really is incredible. Her strength is something that most could only strive towards. After a lovely visit we quickly rushed out to get the next train back to the city where we were going to (cousin) Bridget and Paul's house to sleep that night.


The next morning we headed off to Waterloo station on our journey, under the channel, to Paris. We knew we were in Paris when the taxi went the wrong way down a narrow one way street! We checked in and then headed to wander around Montremarte. It was beautiful! And we soon got used to walking up and down the bazillion steps. After winding through the streets, and beginning our photo taking spree. Our main trip that day was to the Sacre-Coeur. We decided to head up to the dome - got our tickets and without any warning started up the tiny staircase. There was no way of knowing how far up you were or how long you had left. The trip up was well worth it! Not only did it entertain us for hours with the beautiful views, but it also sheltered us in the rainstorm that passed over the city. The rainstorm provided more amazing shots - such as the first photo that is shown here. Hours later we headed down.

We went for dinner at, maybe not a 5* restaurant, but certainly a memorable place. The accordian man provided much entertainment! Day one ended - there were many smiles, new sights to gaze at, and lots of pictures (and we hadn't even been to one bridge yet!). It was going to be a great trip.

To Be Continued... Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home